Monday, April 11, 2011

Saddam Hussein, The Waiter

 I was at this really beautiful cafe here in Abu Dhabi called Shakespeare & Co.


It's actually quite attractive, the interior is Marie Antoinette (the movie) meets Alice in Wonderland... and always makes me think of little girls playing tea time.



When we were making our orders, we noticed the Indian waiter's name tag read "Saddam". As a joke, my friend's husband asks, "And is your last name Hussein?"

The waiter laughs and says, "Yes.." 

If anyone has ever dealt with waiters in the UAE, you would know that a lot of the time they don't hear you, but they just nod and smile anyway, sort of like the penguins in Madagascar with their "Smile and wave boys, just smile... and wave" attitude.

So we ask him again. He heard us the first time, and explained that Saddam Hussein is a very common name where he comes from. 

*As soon as I get access to my scanner, I will be posting the sketch I made of Saddam Hussein, the waiter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment